Archaeology / Cultural Heritage / History

[Archaeology] [twocolumns]

Anthropology / Human Evolution / Linguistics

[Anthropology] [twocolumns]

Palaeontology / Palaeoclimate / Earth Sciences

[Palaeontology] [twocolumns]

Evolution / Genetics / Biology

[Evolution][twocolumns]

Limassol roadworks uncover mediaeval skeletons


Archaeologists believe that skeletons and scraps of ceramics found close to Limassol’s old harbour (Republic of Cyprus) during road works were part of a mediaeval cemetery.

Limassol roadworks uncover mediaeval skeletons
The mediaeval building uncovered in March [Credit: Cyprus Mail]
Once the recording and documentation of the findings is completed, the antiquities will be stored so they are available for future generations.

The new findings were discovered in Siafis street. Earlier this year the remains of a medieval building were found in Ayia Theklis street which is part of the same project.

The roadworks in the old town are a €2.5 million project to widen the roads surrounding the marina to four lanes, two in each direction, starting from Commandarias street until Siafi and Kioproulouzate streets.

The 18-month project aims to improve the roads connecting Franklin Roosevelt avenue with the seaside. Undertaken by An. Christou Properties and Construction Ltd, 80 per cent of the cost is paid for by the state and the remaining 20 per cent by the Limassol municipality.

Author: Annette Chrysostomou | Source: Cyprus Mail [September 06, 2017]
TANN

Post A Comment
  • Blogger Comment using Blogger
  • Facebook Comment using Facebook
  • Disqus Comment using Disqus

No comments :


Exhibitions / Travel

[Exhibitions] [bsummary]

Natural Heritage / Environment / Wildlife

[Natural Heritage] [list]

Astronomy / Astrobiology / Space Exploration

[Universe] [list]