Ruins of Tangya Tusi fortress opens to the public
Ruins of the Tangya Tusi fortress, one of the three Tusi sites added to UNESCO's World Heritage List last year, opens to public on Saturday, the Chinese Cultural Heritage Day.
|A memorial archway stands at the Tangya Tusi site in central China's Hubei Province |
The fortress was first built in the early Yuan Dynasty (1271 - 1368), before its later owners expanded it.
|View of Tangya tusi site in central China's Hubei Province |
Tusi was a tribal leader appointed as an imperial official by the central government. Chieftains ruling the Tangya Tusi territory were surnamed Qin, who handed down the power to 18 generations in more than 460 years, until the Qing Dynasty (1636-1912), when chieftainship was abolished and the fortress was abandoned.
|Aerial view of Tangya tusi site in central China's Hubei Province |
The other two Tusi sites included in the UNESCO world heritage list along with Tangya are the ruins of Hailongtun castle in Guizhou Province and the Yongshun old Tusi town in Hunan Province.
Source: Xinhua [June 17, 2016]